Making and receiving telephone calls



How to speak politely on the telephone in English

1.       Introducing yourself
·         Hey, George. It’s Lisa calling (Formal)
·         Hello, this is Julie Madison calling
·         Hi, It’s Gerry from the dentist’s office  here

2.       Asking to speak with someone
·         Is Fred in? (informal)
·         Is Jackson there, please? (informal)
·         Can I talk to your sister? (informal)
·         May speak with Mr. Green, please?

3.       Connecting People
·         Just a sec, I’ll get him (informal)
·         Hang on one second (informal)
·         Please hold and I’ll put you through to his office
·         One moment please
·         All of our operators are busy at this time. Please hold fot the next available person

4.       Making special request
·         Could you please repeat that?
·         Would mind spelling that for me?
·         Could you speak up a little please?
·         Can you speak a little slower please. My English isn’t very strong
·         Can you call me back? I think we have a bad connection
·         Can you please hold for a minute? I have another call

5.       Taking a message for someone
·         Sammy’s not in. Who is this?(informal)
·         I’m sory, Lisa isn’t here at the moment. Can I ask who’s calling?
·         I’m afraid he’s stepped out. Would you like to leave a message?
·         He’s on lunch right now. Who’s calling please?
·         He’s busy right now. Can you call again later?
·         l’ll let him know you called
·         l’ll make sure she gets a message

6.       Leaving a message for someone
·         Yes, can you tell him his wife called, please
·         No, it’s oke. I’ll call back later
·         Thanks,  could you ask him to call Brilian when he gets in?
·         Do you have a pen handy. I don’t think he has my number
·         Thanks. My number is 222-3456, extension 12

7.       Confirming
·         Okay, I’ve got it all down

8.       Information
·         Let me repeat that just to make sure
·         Did you say 555 Charles St.?
·         You said your name was John, right?
·         I’ll make sure he gets a message

9.       Listening to an answering machine
·         Hello, you’re reached 222-6789. Please leave a detailed message after the beep. Thank you
·         Hi, this Elizabeth. I’m sory I’m not available to take your call at this time. Leave me a message and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can
·         Thank you for calling Dr. Mindin’s office. Our hours are 9am-5pm, Monday –Friday. Please call back during this hours, or leave a message after the tone. If this is an emergency please call the hospital at 333-7896

10.   Leaving a message on an answering mechine
·         Hi Mikako. It’s Yuka. Call me! (informal)
·         Hello, this is Ricardo calling for Luke. Could you please return my call as soon as possible. My number is 334-5689. Thank you
·         Hello Maxwell. This is Marina from the doctor’s office calling. I jus wanted to let you know that you’re due for a check-up this month. Please give us a ring/buzz whenever it’s convenient 

11.   Finishing a conversation
·         Well, I guess I better get going. Talk to you soon
·         Thanks for calling. Bye for now
·         I have to let you go now
·         I have another call coming through. I better run
·         I’m afraid that’s my other line
·         I’ll talk to you again soon. Bye

Source : www.languagelearningbase.com

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

The Diferences Between TOEFL, IELTS, and TOEIC

Sistem Penetapan Kurs

Invitations and offers